Page
of 3

Net Neutrality

27 replies
Untagged users
Posted Jan 25, 18
Online on Site
Chatterbox
second question: how long has NET NEUTRALITY existed before repeal?

(if none of you know I will tell you)
Use the force you must!
Posted Jan 26, 18 · Last edited Jan 26, 18
Online on Site
Chatterbox
ANSWER:
net neutrality was only around for 2 years before repeal. net neutrality was not essential for the internet. it simply said that internet providers were not allowed to treat some websites and IP adresses differently from any others. (all websites got equal rights to the internet) however this caused a lot of internet lag because when someone was using a very complicated laggy website, comcast (or whatever internet service) was not allowed to say "we will slow the connection on this particular site so that this website does not hog all the available internet for your entire neighborhood." there was internet BEFORE net neutrality, so logically there can still be internet AFTER net neutrality.
Use the force you must!
Posted Jan 30, 18
Untagged users
You assume that people have more than one option. 48% of US consumers only have 1 ISP available.

Take a read here, the internet, and the companies that oversee large portions of it, was far more manipulative prior to 2015. The article here lists just a few of the scams corporations tried to pull off, hence the legislation.
https://www.popsci.com/net-neutrality-lies#page-5

There is nothing positive that will come from its repeal, its nothing but a power/cash grab. Last survey showed 92% of voters against its repeal, but they went ahead anyway...

But CP players shouldn't worry too much. It will take a year or more to work is way through the legislative process and even after that, companies won't immediately start throttling speeds. That would create outrage. They will do it gradually, like a frog in a pot. One day, 5-6 years from now, when your internet is $150 and you have to pay for 'bandwidth overages' you may stop and think, 'how'd we get here?'
Posted Jan 31, 18 · Last edited Jan 31, 18
Online on Site
Chatterbox
The people who made the net neutrality law did not even have permision or authority to make it! If it turns out we really need it, then the people who are actually allowed to pass this law can change things.

48% is about half of everyone in the USA. Comcast will gradually increase prices. verison will gradually increase prices. comcast will go "hmm. I can get a 24% gain of customers if I drop my price below verison's" comcast will likely get a raise unless verison can match their price. If prices get too high, guess what will happen to normal people. they won't be able to afford internet, so internet providers loses most of their customers, not to mention millions of dollars each month.

also I read the info at the site, and it directly contradicts some of what you just said. it claims that NN has been around since internet started. and yet you claim that internet was pushier until 2015 when it was first passed.
Use the force you must!
Untagged users
That is your opinion. Having seen my bills creep up faster than cost of living increases over the past 20 years, I disagree.

The article states right in the opening paragraph that Net Neturality was implemented in 2015. The conclusion states that its ideals have been baked into the internet from the beginning and the phrase arose in 2003. It never claimed the law was original to the inception.

Also, be careful with your tone. I'm not sure of your intent, because text is a difficult medium for such, but telling someone to "now read carefully" is condescending. We were just having a discussion, taking a superior position when you do not know who you're talking to is presumptuous at the least and inane ignorance at the worst.
Posted Jan 31, 18
Online on Site
Chatterbox
I do not mean to insult you in any way, or to establish that I am superior to you at all. I respect your opinion as I don't actually pay for my own internet. when I said "read carefully" I did not mean it that way. I am very sorry. former post edited.

also what internet do you use? my family uses verison and I would probably know from a parent if it seemed to be getting more over expensive.
Use the force you must!
Untagged users
Thank you for clarifying.

I am currently a Charter customer, it is one of only two offered in my area. Only time will tell what this will bring, but I am not optimistic.
Posted Jan 31, 18
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices