79 replies
Untagged users
Wow, I had no idea it was so huge!
Posted Mar 1, 17
Agree
List
Undo
Untagged users
Northeastward ho then! I'll head North first then go East and note my co-ords as I zig zag back down. I feel like Leif Erikson!
Posted Mar 1, 17
Donator
Chatterbox
wrote:
Northeastward ho then! I'll head North first then go East and note my co-ords as I zig zag back down. I feel like Leif Erikson!

Per Sully's call-off, we can savor the adventure or go for other fun. The world is being rendered off-site, and it would take 4 of us 46 days at 75 kilometers each per day.

Thank you, and VioletCloudBear1 for your efforts and enthusiasm!
You have done as well as you could. That is all there is to being great. GG.
Posted Mar 1, 17 · Last edited Mar 1, 17
List
Undo
Chatterbox
Heya guys, sorry for interrupting, but any updates on who won the build comp? Ive been busy with school so i haven't really been active lately xD
Comp-1_4.gif
Posted Mar 1, 17
Untagged users
Dear CrazyPig Staff,

CrazyPig is a very cool collection of servers, admins, plugins, and creativity. Being in I.T. for decades and running my own server for a time, I totally understand the technology issues plaguing these installs, and the eventual need to start fresh. I hope all goes well with the new survival world, and I truly appreciate the effort put in by the staff to build a fantastic new spawn, world, and keep everything running so well.

The biggest issue from my perspective was communication. I was relatively new to CP, but had already invested over a hundred hours building homes on Atlantica. That's minuscule compared to the time and effort others have put in, but I still felt that CP had become a good place for me and my kids to play. I have to believe that this decision was a long time in the making, so I have a couple of issues with the way this was rolled out.

The Bomb Drop - by this I mean that it feels somewhat nuclear to log in one day and read a message telling me it was all for nothing. When this type of decision has been made on other servers I've joined, I was told, "hey, don't get too fancy building here since we'll be rolling out a new world soon." If we'd known, we would have kept it very basic for a few months and spent more time being friendly to other players, or picked a different world that was slated to continue.

Zero Consolation - not only did I feel a total lack of sympathy from the staff, but no offerings whatsoever were made to offset the loss of absolutely everything we'd worked so hard to build. I understand inventory and builds can't be moved since that's how the sickness started in the first place, but some sort of offering should have been made to help players start from scratch. Even if my house burns down IRL, I at least get an insurance check to help rebuild, and possibly a hug from the Red Cross. Please, in the future, have some compassion and at least offer a cookie after ripping the band-aid off.

Unfortunately, it's doubtful we'll be returning to CrazyPig.

Sincerely,
Gronsten
Posted Mar 1, 17
Informativ...
List
Undo
Hi Gronsten,

Thanks for your well-written feedback. I am the original founder of Crazy Pig but not the current owner.
I hope you'll give CP another chance - map changes are an inevitable feature of a multiplayer server, and typically occur on Crazy Pig about once a year (on average). I'm not here trying to offer excuses, but just to highlight (as you probably already know) that Crazy Pig is an amateur server, meaning it is run in people's spare time, using limited donations to pay for website rental and server maintenance. The current owners, MillyPanda and Tetech89, have non-technical backgrounds, and are on an amazingly steep learning curve about Linux, bash scripting, SQL databases, TCP/IP, websites, regular expressions, Java virtual machines, hardware performance, backup, DDoS defence, Spigot, plugins, performance timings, etc. etc.. All that plus doing all the in-game building, website artwork, story-boarding, arbitrating disputes and ban appeals, recruiting new staff etc.. I have to say, I am in awe of what they have achieved in such a short time, and am very excited to see Crazy Pig continue under their stewardship. Could the transition to the new maps for version 1.11 have been done better? Very probably. But in these situations there is never (in my experience) a scenario that pleases everybody. Sometimes decisions have to made quickly, and sometimes some things fall between the cracks, but that is the nature of an amateur server.

I am truly sorry for your sense of loss, and I hope you won't hold that against the staff team - having seen many map resets over the years, I know that the real value of Crazy Pig is in the player community, not the builds (amazing as they usually are). I hope you and your family continue to play and enjoy being a part of the community.
Posted Mar 1, 17
Agree
Helpful
Informativ...
List
Undo
Staff
Donator
Ancient
wrote:

Zero Consolation - not only did I feel a total lack of sympathy from the staff, but no offerings whatsoever were made to offset the loss of absolutely everything we'd worked so hard to build. I understand inventory and builds can't be moved since that's how the sickness started in the first place, but some sort of offering should have been made to help players start from scratch. Even if my house burns down IRL, I at least get an insurance check to help rebuild, and possibly a hug from the Red Cross. Please, in the future, have some compassion and at least offer a cookie after ripping the band-aid off.

I'd like to point out, in case you missed it, that Atlantica and Cambria will be offered as downloads so you can play on them in singleplayer. That has always been the 'cookie' offered here, when it's at all possible to do so. It will take a little while, what with everything that Millypanda and Tetech have on their plates, but please rest assured that your builds are not lost, and you will be able to access them again.

As TheLecturer pointed out, the best thing about CrazyPig, and the thing that makes it such a unique and wonderful server, is the community. Many of our current players have been here through 4 or more maps, and many changes. They keep coming back because it's the best place to play Minecraft. I do hope you'll reconsider and continue to grow with us :)
Posted Mar 1, 17
List
Undo
Chatterbox
wrote:
Dear CrazyPig Staff,

CrazyPig is a very cool collection of servers, admins, plugins, and creativity. Being in I.T. for decades and running my own server for a time, I totally understand the technology issues plaguing these installs, and the eventual need to start fresh. I hope all goes well with the new survival world, and I truly appreciate the effort put in by the staff to build a fantastic new spawn, world, and keep everything running so well.

The biggest issue from my perspective was communication. I was relatively new to CP, but had already invested over a hundred hours building homes on Atlantica. That's minuscule compared to the time and effort others have put in, but I still felt that CP had become a good place for me and my kids to play. I have to believe that this decision was a long time in the making, so I have a couple of issues with the way this was rolled out.

The Bomb Drop - by this I mean that it feels somewhat nuclear to log in one day and read a message telling me it was all for nothing. When this type of decision has been made on other servers I've joined, I was told, "hey, don't get too fancy building here since we'll be rolling out a new world soon." If we'd known, we would have kept it very basic for a few months and spent more time being friendly to other players, or picked a different world that was slated to continue.

Unfortunately, it's doubtful we'll be returning to CrazyPig.

Sincerely,
Gronsten
Hi, gron, you must realise that, the staff tried very hard to save Atlantica, and cambria too, and I have to believe that this came up fairly recently- since, from what I can tell, atlantica and cambria got corrupted, they couldnt do anything about it, this is very rare, but can sometimes happen, it caused extreme lag for a lot of players, including me, and if they didn't shutdown atlantica and cambria, it would slowly get worse and worse, until it got unplayable.
Posted Mar 1, 17 · Last edited Mar 1, 17
Agree
List
Undo
Chatterbox
Hey, in response to Gronsten 's post, I wanted to point out as many people said that the world will be available for download. I also wanted to point out that if you download the world onto your computer and open it, and press the ESC key, it should say "open to LAN". This will make the world playable by anyone on your local network (Eg. Your children). So you can experience Atlantica with your kids, just minus the community and such. If you ever want to have some spare time to play on it with them, that is fine. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, but we hope you would give us another chance in the new world :)

-Fen
fennekin_animated_by_diegotoon20-d8ylc7y.gif
Posted Mar 1, 17
Agree
List
Undo
Page
of 8
NoticeNotices